Your shopping cart is empty!
The 1958 Newport Jazz Festival inspired superlative performances from the stars of the day. These are the highlights, taken from the soundtrack of the classic film.
Arguably the greatest Jazz feature film ever made, 'Jazz On A Summer's Day' was the only movie made by famed photographer Bert Stern and was released to rave reviews in 1959.
Filmed over the four days of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival, it not only brilliantly captured the party atmosphere of the event but also memorable performances from some of the greatest jazz players and singers of the era.
This CD-reissue of musical highlights from the film's soundtrack features sixteen inspired and diverse performances from such jazz greats as Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong, Dinah Washington and Gerry Mulligan. The organiser's decision to include rock 'n' roller Chuck Berry on the bill was a controversial one at the time and we hear him performing his big chart hit from 1958, 'Sweet Little Sixteen'. Three songs from the peerless gospel singer Mahalia Jackson encapsulate the uplifting mood of those four days and provide a fitting conclusion to the concert.
Now re-issued at mid-price in new digipak format with a striking new cover
1. The Jimmy Giuffre Trio - Train And The River
2. Thelonious Monk - Blue Monk
3. Sonny Stitt - Loose Walk
4. Anita O'Day - Sweet Georgia Brown
5. Anita O'Day - Tea For Two
6. Dinah Washington - All Of Me
7. Gerry Mulligan - Catch As Catch Can
8. Big Maybelle - I Ain't Mad At You
9. Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen
10. The Chico Hamilton Quintet - Blue Sands
11. Louis Armstrong - Up A Lazy River
12. Louis Armstrong - Tiger Rag
13. Louis Armstrong - Rockin' Chair
14. Louis Armstrong - When The Saints Go Marching In
15. Mahalia Jackson - Medley: Walk All Over God's Heaven: Didn't It Rain
16. Mahalia Jackson - The Lord's Prayer.